Gold Run 2018
Chase the dream
Entries Now Exhausted
Chase the dream! Share the dream!
At the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018), you have the opportunity to take part in your own sporting event and be part of history.
It’s called Gold Run 2018!
The event is a 5km fun run to be held on a section of the Marathon course at the same time the Marathon runners are going for gold.
It’s for the community!
6,600 people have the chance to share the dream – a figure that represents the number of athletes and officials coming to the Games.
A gold medal course!
Gold Run 2018 will start and finish at the GC2018 Marathon start line, with the 5km course taking participants north to a turnaround point in Labrador and then back south to a grandstand finish at Southport Broadwater Parklands.
Witness the marathon finish!
You will then be able to cheer on the Marathon runners during the exciting closing stages of the women’s and men’s Marathon races at GC2018.
Race Pack Collection
GC2018 Gold Run Check In Centre
177 Burleigh Connection Rd
Burleigh Waters QLD 4220
Collection Dates and Times
Wednesday 11 April: 2:00pm - 8:00pm
Thursday 12 April: 2:00pm - 8:00pm
- Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to take part in the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games
- Exclusive Gold Run 2018 participant t-shirt to wear during the event
- Personalised race number
- Start and finish at the GC2018 Marathon start line
- Exclusive Gold Run 2018 finisher’s medal
- Free public transport to and from the venue
- Those who enter early will have the opportunity to reserve entry passes for exclusive access to watch the GC2018 Marathon starts and finishes! Only a limited number of these passes are available for Gold Run 2018 participants and their family & friends. Allocation exhausted.
Race Day Schedule
|Event||Race Start||Expected First Finisher|
|Men’s and Women’s T54 Wheelchair Marathon||6:10am||7:35am|
|Gold Run 2018 5km Racing Wheelchairs||8:39am||8:49am|
|Gold Run 2018 5km Runners||8:40am||8:54am|
Cut Off Time 9:40am
The start and finish for Gold Run 2018 will be at Southport Broadwater Parklands (Marathon Venue). Participants in Gold Run 2018 will need to enter through the Pedestrian Screening Area (PSA) at the Optus Aquatic Centre and proceed north along the pedestrian walking route to the Marathon Venue.
To be permitted entry via the PSA, participants MUST wear both their Gold Run 2018 participant t-shirt and race number. Participant t-shirts and race numbers WILL NOT be available at the entry point.
View the FAQs for more information on what will be and what will not be permitted into the venue. Participants must arrive at the PSA no later than 7:00am to allow time to complete the screening process and proceed approximately 1km from the PSA to the Gold Run 2018 Marshalling Area.
Venue Entry for Wheelchair Participants
Day Wheelchair Participants
Participants in day wheelchairs must enter the venue via the PSA and proceed to the Gold Run 2018 Wheelchair Participant’s Area close to the start line.
Racing Wheelchair Participants
Participants in racing wheelchairs must enter the venue via the PSA (Pedestrian Screening Area) in their day chair and transition into their racing chair in the Wheelchair Participant’s Area close to the start line. The racing chair can be brought in by a companion through the PSA. Day chairs will then be stored in the Wheelchair Participant’s Area.
GC2018 is affiliated with the Companion Card program and we are committed to providing an accessible Games. If a participant requires a companion to complete the event, they will be entitled to one free entry into the event. The participant will need to contact the Gold Run team to ensure their companion’s entry details are captured as they will still be required to wear the event t-shirt and race bib whilst entering the venue and on course. Please send all details through to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the team on 1300 2018 00. Please note there is a strict 60 minute cut off time from when the starting gun is fired. However, due to the large number of participants it will take several minutes for everyone to cross the start line and we recommend all participants must be confident in completing the 5km course in under 50 minutes prior to entering the event to avoid disappointment.
If a companion is only required to help with access to the venue, the participant must advise this in their entry in accessibility requirements and e-mail the Gold Run team at email@example.com. A wristband will then be issued for the companion to access the venue.
The Marshalling Area will be divided into five Start Zones for participants to assemble in.
The Start Zones will be indicated by the letter A, B, C, D or E on the participant’s race number. This will be based on the predicted finish time that the participant selects when completing their race entry.
The Start Zones will be clearly signed and will open a minimum of 20 minutes prior to the race start.
Racing Wheelchair participants and Day Wheelchair participants will assemble in the Wheelchair Participant’s Area which will be highlighted in the Participant Guide to be available in early 2018.
Racing Wheelchair participants will be escorted to the start line in advance of the runners and start one minute before the runners. Day Wheelchair participants will start at the back of Zone E to allow for a smooth and safe start for all participants.
Participants will have 60 minutes to complete the course from when the 8:40am starting gun is fired. Any participants who have not finished by the cut-off time of 9:40am will be directed through to the Recovery Area via an alternate route. This is to ensure there is no clash with the GC2018 Marathon races.
Conditions of Entry
- Participants must be aged 12 or over (age at 15/4/2018)
- All entries must be completed via the official online entry form
- Payment must be made via Credit/Debit Card (MasterCard or Visa) at the time of entry
- There will be no refunds. Transfers to another person will be permitted through an official entry transfer process. This will be specified in the participant’s confirmation email
- Race packs (race number and participant t-shirt) must be collected in person from the Gold Run 2018 Check In Centre during opening hours prior to race day. Participants with Australian postal addresses will have option to have their race pack posted out ($12 fee applies per participant and can be selected in the entry form). There will be no race day race pack collection
- Photo ID and/or display of your entry confirmation certificate is required for race pack collection. If you are collecting on behalf of another individual, please ensure you have a copy of their confirmation letter and an email/sms/letter providing permission to collect on their behalf
- If you are completing an entry for the Gold Run 2018 on behalf of others, you are accepting these Terms and Conditions on their behalf.
- By entering Gold Run 2018, you also agree to subscribing to the GC2018 regular newsletter. You can unsubscribe at any time
- View the full Terms and Conditions
- View the Venue Conditions of Entry
- View the FAQs
Gold Run 2018 has an official cut-off time that participants must complete their race within. This cut-off time will be enforced as the event is being run in conjunction with the GC2018 Marathon and must not impact on these races. It is the participant’s responsibility to ensure they finish within the official cut-off time.
Course officials may issue warnings on-course and have the authority to remove participants from the race at any of the cut-off locations when a participant is behind the cut-off time and their safety or event progress is compromised.
Racing Wheelchairs: 8:39am
Gold Run 2018: 8:40am
Official Cut-Off Time:
60 minutes from the starting gun
As it will take time for all participants to cross the start line, all participants should be confident and capable of finishing 5km in 50 minutes (i.e. 10 minutes per kilometer pace or faster).
Free public transport will be provided for all Gold Run 2018 participants. Participants must clearly display their race number and participant t-shirt to access Queensland Rail services between Brisbane and the Gold Coast, G:link and Surfside Buses.
A dedicated Gold Run 2018 shuttle bus will operate between the Parkwood and Helensvale Park ’n’ Ride locations and Southport.
Walking or running to the venue is highly encouraged, and bicycle parking will also be available for cyclists at Loders Creek, Stevens Street and Nerang Street.
Full transport information will be available in the Participant Guide to be available in early 2018, however you can also use the GC2018 journey planner to plan your journey to the precinct.